UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

British support for hydraulic fracking drops

  |
 
Published: Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:03 AM

NOTTINGHAM, England, Oct. 3 (UPI) -- Summer protests against British energy company Cuadrilla Resources left the public wary of hydraulic fracturing, polling data show.

Cuadrilla's drilling site in Balcombe, an English village in West Sussex county, was the target of protesters concerned its campaign was a prelude to a hydraulic fracturing operation. Hydraulic fracturing, known also as fracking, was not conducted at the site.

An online survey of more than 21,300 respondents conducted from March through September by the University of Nottingham found support for shale operations declined. The survey said "there has been a noticeable drop in approval ratings since July [when the protests began]."

Cuadrilla said it discovered oil during its Balcombe drilling. The survey found the general public linked Cuadrilla's campaign to concerns about shale natural gas extraction.

"Despite industry claims that shale gas is a clean energy resource especially compared to other fossil fuels such as oil and coal, the British public has not been so convinced," the survey, published Wednesday, found.

The company said last month it closed off the well in Balcombe while it waits for planning permission to return to test flow rates.

The University of Nottingham didn't publish a statistical margin of error in its report.

Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Next Story: Gazprom committed to South Stream
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Energy Resources Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
Police reveal greatest crime fighting weapon yet - Simon Cowell and dancing celebrities
Congratulations to Steve Jobs. Two years cancer free
Thanksgiving and the first day of Hanukkah will fall on the same date in 2013: Nov. 28. Are you...
FARK party in Chicago. Monday, October 7. Going to the Art Museum, getting pizza and drinking (OF...
If you leave your purse behind at a Foot Locker and it's got your cocaine inside, just let it go....
Catholics in America love the new pope. Catholic bishops in America, not so much