UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Eyebrows raised over BP spill claims

  |
 
Published: Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:21 AM

WASHINGTON, Oct. 1 (UPI) -- The National Wildlife Federation is questioning claims by BP regarding the amount of oil spilled in the 2010 Gulf of Mexico spill.

BP said approximately 2.5 million barrels of oil were spilled over the course of 87 days. An accident at the Deepwater Horizon oil rig left 11 workers dead and led to one of the worst oil spills in the history of the industry.

A four-week civil trial in New Orleans could add another $18 billion in penalties to BP, on top of the $42.4 billion it already has set aside for cleaning up the southern U.S. coast affected by the spill.

The federal government estimates about 4.1 million barrels of oil spilled before responders managed to cap the leak. Larry Schweiger, president and CEO of the National Wildlife Federation, said he questioned BP's figures.

"We should be extremely skeptical of BP's current claims about the volume of oil released into the gulf," he said in a statement Monday. "Getting the estimate reduced may boost the company's bottom line [in terms of penalties], but it will hurt the prospects for restoration in the Gulf of Mexico."

The U.S. government last year enacted the so-called RESTORE Act, which funnels civil penalties paid by parties responsible for the spill to gulf restoration activity.

Topics: Gulf Oil Spill
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Energy Resources Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
Police reveal greatest crime fighting weapon yet - Simon Cowell and dancing celebrities
Congratulations to Steve Jobs. Two years cancer free
Thanksgiving and the first day of Hanukkah will fall on the same date in 2013: Nov. 28. Are you...
FARK party in Chicago. Monday, October 7. Going to the Art Museum, getting pizza and drinking (OF...
If you leave your purse behind at a Foot Locker and it's got your cocaine inside, just let it go....
Catholics in America love the new pope. Catholic bishops in America, not so much