Cuadrilla said its oil exploration program at Balcombe was completed and all drilling equipment would be removed from the site by Saturday.
The company was drilling a conventional exploration well to examine the oil prospects at the site. Cuadrilla said Monday it confirmed the presence of hydrocarbons at the site but further testing was needed to determine the reserve potential.
"The well was a success and we are very encouraged by the findings so far," Cuadrilla Exploration Director Andrew Quarles said in a statement.
The drilling site in Balcombe, in West Sussex county, was the target of protesters concerned Cuadrilla's campaign was a prelude to a hydraulic fracturing operation. Hydraulic fracturing, known also as fracking, was not conducted at the site.
Cuadrilla CEO Francis Egan said he appreciated the work of area police and residents of Balcombe who had to deal with "the strain of protest."
The company said it closed off the well while it waits for planning permission to return to test flow rates.
Exploding whale video goes viral on Internet
Martin Bashir resigns from MSNBC over Sarah Palin comments