Protesters in Sussex blocked delivery vehicles meant to carry drilling products to Cuadrilla as it prepares for operations Saturday. A report from the British government last week said underground shale reserves could cut down on imports, which are expected to increase exponentially by 2030.
Cuadrilla received approval for the site this week. Brenda Pollack, an advocacy director for Friends of the Earth, said in a statement Thursday the country was "rushing ahead" with shale campaigns without any concerns for potential contamination of groundwater supplies.
The British government said it viewed shale reserves as a major source of energy security and economic stimulus following upbeat assessments form the British Geological Survey.
Demonstrators cut the brake lines of a vehicle slated to deliver equipment to Cuadrilla in Sussex. Pollack said shale oil and natural gas are not the solution to British energy challenges.
The energy company told the BBC Friday it met with local officials to discuss its campaign in advance.
"Cuadrilla's forthcoming activity at Balcombe is for exploratory drilling only and is a temporary operation that will not include hydraulic fracturing," it said.
Ray Liotta sues skin care company over use of likeness
Boston schools pull out free condoms over wrapping complaints