UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

U.S. applauds Deepwater Horizon area restoration

|
 
Published: May 3, 2013 at 5:35 AM

WASHINGTON, May 3 (UPI) -- BP's consideration of $600 million to help restore the southern U.S. coast soiled by the 2010 oil spill is the right move, the U.S. Interior Department said.

BP reached a preliminary agreement with trustees managing 29 projects in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida to provide $600 million for post-spill restoration. The Interior Department said the agreement is the first step toward a BP agreement to provide $1 billion for restoration programs.

Acting Assistant Secretary for Fish and Wildlife and Parks at Interior Rachel Jacobson said restoration was already supported with $71 billion from last year.

"We're committed to working with our fellow trustees to ensure the gulf is made whole, and that the residents of the region and other stakeholders and interest groups are fully engaged in those efforts," she said in a statement.

BP last year agreed to pay $4 billion to the U.S. government in criminal penalties and another $8.5 million to settle other claims.

The first phase of a civil trial involving the 2010 oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico concluded April 17 in New Orleans. The companies -- Transocean, BP and Halliburton -- involved in the incident have blamed each other for the events that led to the disaster.

Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional Energy Resources Stories
1 of 19
Arias Is Found Guilty of Murder in Arizona
View Caption
Jodi Arias (R) reacts as she hears the verdict of guilty of first degree murder after a four month trial in Phoenix, Arizona, May 8, 2013. Arias was convicted of murdering her lover Travis Alexander in Tempe, Arizona in June of 2008. UPI// Rob Schumacher/Arizona Republic/Pool
fark
To be fair, every monster invasion movie begins with scientists "dismissing the buzz"
Woman force-feeds herself 5,000 calories a day to become fattest possible fetish model. (w/ not...
Fireman in bear costume run over by fire engine
Submitted for the approval of the Fark community, I call this story The Tale of the Escaped Troll-Face...
Smokin' hot teacher embroiled in sex scandal at subby's former high school and subby didn't read...
Doctor arrested for aggravated battery after he kidnapped his girlfriend and waterboarded her into...