UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Conoco puts U.S. arctic campaign on hold

|
 
Published: April 11, 2013 at 8:16 AM

ANCHORAGE, Alaska, April 11 (UPI) -- It's not practical to move ahead with exploration plans in the arctic waters offshore Alaska next year given regulatory uncertainty, ConocoPhillips said.

A 56-page report published last week by the U.S. Interior Department said changes in arctic sea ice cover is sparking interest of offshore developers keen on tapping into unexplored reserves of oil and natural gas.

U.S. Deputy Interior Secretary David Hayes said that while the report doesn't represent any major policy initiative, "it is imperative that we reduce redundancies and streamline federal efforts as we safely and responsibly explore and develop Alaska's vast resources."

Conoco said there were uncertainties in the way in which the federal government would manage arctic resources, adding "it would not be prudent" to go ahead with a campaign next year.

"While we are confident in our own expertise and ability to safely conduct offshore Arctic operations, we believe that more time is needed to ensure that all regulatory stakeholders are aligned," Conoco's regional President Trond-Erik Johansen said.

Conoco in 2008 secured 98 lease tracts in the Chukchi Sea.

Arctic exploration was suspended by Royal Dutch Shell after equipment malfunctions and weather delays hampered the company's development plans in the Chukchi and Beaufort seas.

Topics: David Hayes
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional Energy Resources Stories
1 of 20
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill in Washington
View Caption
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill to tour a photography exhibit by HALO Trust, a British nonprofit focused on removing hazardous war debris, including un-exploded devices and landmines, on May 9, 2013 in Washington, D.C. UPI/Kevin Dietsch
fark
Radioactive products from the last century: toothpaste, chocolate, suppositories. What were we thinking?...
School dedicates a portion of its website to a student who just died. Fark: And that's how the parents...
A man probably had a brief moment of joy when he gave the slip to the sheriff's deputy chasing him....
Giant 50-foot magnet makes cross-country trek, as well as quite an attraction
Florida restaurant pulls controversial lion tacos off the menu after huge uproar
Photoshop this red army