UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Upton: Beat China to punch with Keystone

  |
 
Published: Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:49 AM

WASHINGTON, Jan. 25 (UPI) -- Washington should seize the opportunity to back the Keystone XL oil pipeline before planner TransCanada tilts toward Asia, said U.S. Rep. Fred Upton.

Upton, R-Mich., chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, expressed frustration that approval for the Canadian oil pipeline to the southern U.S. coast wasn't getting immediate support from U.S. President Barack Obama.

Nebraska Gov. Dave Heineman this week said he was satisfied a revised route for the controversial tar sands pipeline avoided the sensitive Sand Hills area of the state.

Project supporters note that's likely one of the last hurdles for the pipeline's approval.

Upton expressed concern the White House signaled that a decision on the pipeline would likely come after the first quarter of the year.

"It has now been over four years since TransCanada first applied for the Keystone XL permit," he said in a statement. "We can't afford to wait any longer, especially as TransCanada considers alternatives, including shipping oil to China."

Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper last year courted Asian economies for his country's vast oil reserves. Virtually all of Canada's oil exports are designated for the United States.

TransCanada spokesman Shawn Howard said in a statement to United Press International that the company was waiting for the U.S. State Department to publish its draft environmental assessment of the project.

"We continue to believe that Keystone XL will be approved, but we know that we still have a lot of work to do before we can receive a presidential permit," he said.

Topics: Barack Obama, Dave Heineman, Stephen Harper
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Energy Resources Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
Police reveal greatest crime fighting weapon yet - Simon Cowell and dancing celebrities
Congratulations to Steve Jobs. Two years cancer free
Thanksgiving and the first day of Hanukkah will fall on the same date in 2013: Nov. 28. Are you...
FARK party in Chicago. Monday, October 7. Going to the Art Museum, getting pizza and drinking (OF...
If you leave your purse behind at a Foot Locker and it's got your cocaine inside, just let it go....
Catholics in America love the new pope. Catholic bishops in America, not so much