UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Major gas find reported off Cyprus coast

  |
 
Published: Dec. 29, 2011 at 9:37 AM

HOUSTON, Dec. 29 (UPI) -- U.S. company Noble Energy reported a major natural gas find off the coast of Cyprus, where reserve estimates could reach 7 trillion cubic feet.

Charles Davidson, chairman and chief executive officer at Noble Energy, said the latest find off the coast of Cyprus represents the fifth for its partners in the greater Levant basin.

"This latest discovery in Cyprus further highlights the quality and significance of this world-class basin," he said in a statement.

Noble drilled to a depth of more than 19,000 feet in water depths of around 5,540 feet. The company said the initial evaluation suggested the find has a gross mean reserve estimate of around 7 trillion cubic feet.

Turkey last month said it aims to sign a deal with supermajor Royal Dutch Shell to explore for natural gas in the eastern waters of the Mediterranean Sea.

The Turkish government had expressed frustration with Noble Energy to pursue similar natural gas activity off the Cyprus coast. Ankara had sent an exploration vessel to the region, which Turkish newspaper Today's Zaman reports raised the possibility of military confrontation in the region.

"We would like to thank the government of Cyprus for their productive cooperation and support in achieving an important outcome for the people of Cyprus and Noble Energy," added Davidson.

Recommended Stories
© 2011 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Energy Resources Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
Police reveal greatest crime fighting weapon yet - Simon Cowell and dancing celebrities
Congratulations to Steve Jobs. Two years cancer free
Thanksgiving and the first day of Hanukkah will fall on the same date in 2013: Nov. 28. Are you...
FARK party in Chicago. Monday, October 7. Going to the Art Museum, getting pizza and drinking (OF...
If you leave your purse behind at a Foot Locker and it's got your cocaine inside, just let it go....
Catholics in America love the new pope. Catholic bishops in America, not so much