Nabucco pipeline launches open season

May 6, 2013 at 6:57 AM

VIENNA, May 6 (UPI) -- Potential shippers of natural gas can register interest in booking capacity in the Nabucco West pipeline with the launch of the open season, a consortium said.

Nabucco Gas Pipeline International GmbH announced Monday the launch of the open season process for booking capacity on the pipeline planned from Turkey.

"As development of the Nabucco project continues, we are pleased to be able to announce the achievement of this highly significant milestone," Nabucco Chief Executive Officer Reinhard Mitschek said from Vienna.

Last week, the BP-led consortium managing the Shah Deniz natural gas field offshore Azerbaijan said it started vetting Nabucco and the rival Trans-Adriatic Pipeline for delivery options to Europe. A decision is expected next month.

Both projects are part of the Southern Corridor, a network of gas transit options meant to bypass Russian sources supplying the European energy sector. Europe gets about 25 percent of its gas from Russia with most of that shipped through Soviet-era pipelines in Ukraine.

The European Union said last week it recognized that Ukraine was making progress in energy security by updating its gas transit system and through diversification strategies.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Russia says missiles aimed at Syria did not land in Iran
Tunisian democracy advocates win Nobel Peace Prize
Captive orca breeding banned at California's SeaWorld
Wrong drug used in Oklahoma execution
Pentagon to ditch $500M Syrian rebel training program