Transocean gets partial relief from Brazil

Oct. 2, 2012 at 6:11 AM

HOUSTON, Oct. 2 (UPI) -- The Brazilian government partially suspended an order that required drilling rig company Transocean to halt work offshore, the company announced.

Transocean said it received partial relief from an order issued last month that required it stop working offshore in Brazil within 30 days.

"Transocean is permitted to continue to operate its rigs in all fields offshore Brazil, with the exception of the Campo de Frade field," the company stated. "Transocean currently has 10 rigs under contract in Brazil; nine of which are currently assigned to work for customers in other fields."

Transocean and Chevron were targets of legal action taken by the Brazilian government for a March seep and for the spill of more than 2,500 barrels of oil at the Frade field in November.

The Brazilian National Agency of Petroleum announced mid-September it would fine Chevron about $17 million for the Frade spill.

Transocean said it would pursue "all legal avenues" to ensure a resolution to the restrictions to its operations at the Frade field is reached.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy drops bid for speaker
WikiLeaks offering $50K for video of Afghan hospital bombing
Murdoch sorry for implying Obama's not a 'real black president'
Reid sues exercise companies over eye injury
Lumber Liquidators to pay $10M in DOJ settlement