SOUTH BEND, Ind., Feb. 22 (UPI) -- Hoverboard maker Swagway said Saturday that customers should stop using their boards until they are deemed safe.
The company followed last week's US Consumer Products Safety Commission declaration that hoverboards are unsafe and told Mashable that consumers should at least temporarily not use the product.
"In complying with the CPSC's requirements, we ask customers who have purchased a Swagway to refrain from using their boards in the interim," a Swagway spokesperson told Mashable.
"We will issue a recall if necessary, as soon as we fully understand the exact specifics that need to be addressed according to the CPSC requirements and will offer a remedy for our customers accordingly," says the spokesperson.
Despite being one of the most popular Christmas gifts of 2015, a rash of injuries and explosions related to the product -- sold by various manufacturers -- has quickly dragged it down and turned hoverboards into a punchline.
Swagway stopped just short of ordering a recall and said the hoverboards that are about to be released will be a better product.
At least 52 reports of hoverboard fires in 24 states have been received by the CPSC.
"We believe that many of the reported incidents, and the related unreasonable risk of injuries and deaths associated with fires in these products, would be prevented if all such products were manufactured in compliance with the referenced voluntary safety standards," the CPSC said.