UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Lockheed Martin furloughing 3,000 employees

  |
 
Published: Oct. 4, 2013 at 4:40 PM

BETHESDA, Md., Oct. 4 (UPI) -- Lockheed Martin, the prime contractor of the F-35 Lightning fighter, plans to begin furloughing some 3,000 workers beginning Monday, the firm said.

The aerospace and defense giant has 116,000 employees and said the partial federal government shutdown that began Oct. 1 was delaying testing and production in military programs.

"I'm disappointed that we must take these actions and we continue to encourage our lawmakers to come together to pass a funding bill that will end this shutdown," said Lockheed Martin Chief Executive Officer and President Marillyn Hewson in a statement Friday.

Lt. Gen. Chris Bogan, the general heading the F-35 program, told The Wall Street Journal Thursday, the government shutdown has delayed flight tests and deliveries of aircraft. Lockheed delivered 80 F-35 jets to the Department of Defense last month and the U.S. Marine Corps hopes to have the first combat-ready squadron of F-35s by late 2015.

Defense contractor United Technologies this week also announced furloughs because of the shutdown's effect on contract awards, payments and inspection work. Lockheed warned it may announce more layoffs weekly if the budget impasse continues in Washington.

Topics: Marine Corps, U.S. Marine
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Next Story: Crude oil posts weekly gain
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Business News Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...