UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

BlackBerry signs tentative $4.7 billion deal to sell itself to Fairfax

  |
 
Published: Sept. 23, 2013 at 2:55 PM

TORONTO, Sept. 23 (UPI) -- Canadian smartphone developer BlackBerry, formerly Research in Motion, said it had signed an agreement to sell itself for $4.7 billion to Fairfax Financial.

Fairfax Financial Holdings has agreed to an all-cash deal valued at U.S. $9 for each BlackBerry share it does not already own. Fairfax Financial, based in Toronto, already owns 10 percent of BlackBerry, the companies said in a statement.

The agreement sets up a "go shop" period of six weeks in which BlackBerry can entertain better offers.

The deal is contingent on a process of due diligence, negotiations and execution of a definitive agreement and approval by regulators, the companies said.

A special committee set up by the BlackBerry board to seek alternative corporate strategies "is seeking the best available outcome for the company's constituents, including for shareholders," said BlackBerry Chairwoman Barbara Stymiest.

"Importantly, the go-shop process provides an opportunity to determine if there are alternatives superior to the present proposal from the Fairfax consortium," she said.

Coincidentally, Apple Inc., one of the companies that now dominates the smartphone market that BlackBerry pioneered, announced Monday it had sold 9 million of its latest iPhone devises, which went on sale Friday in 11 markets around the world.

Last week, news reports said BlackBerry had plans to cut up to 40 percent of its workforce of 12,700.

Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Business News Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
Everybody was typhoon flighting
Photoshop this relaxing redhead
Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Spiteful Obama blocks off view of Mt. Rushmore
Why do Americans have such large refrigerators?
Home Alone 2: Las Vegas. Nine-year-old boy hops a plane from the Twin Cities to Sin City without...
Sex toy company offering free vibrators to furloughed government employees, which is probably the...