OMAHA, Aug. 30 (UPI) -- A Nebraska man has sued Walmart Stores Inc., saying his wife's death from an infection in 2011 was caused by an overpacked plastic bag.
In court papers, William Freis of Plattsmouth said his wife, Lynette, developed an antibiotic-resistant infection after a 42-ounce can of Chinese food fell on her foot in 2010, breaking a toe, the Lincoln Journal-Star reported. She died almost a year later after surgery and antibiotics failed to halt the infection.
A cashier at the Walmart Supercenter had loaded the bag with two 42-ounce cans and a 2-pound bag of rice, the lawsuit says. The bag broke while Lynette Freis was walking to her car.
The lawsuit names Walmart; Bunzl Distribution, the Missouri company that distributes its plastic bags; and Hilex Poly Co. of South Carolina as defendants. It was originally filed in South Carolina state court and transferred last week to U.S. District Court in Omaha.