facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Disney closes LucasArts videogame studio

April 3, 2013 at 4:09 PM   |   Comments

BURBANK, Calif., April 3 (UPI) -- Walt Disney Co. of Burbank, Calif., closed LucasArts videogame studio, which was part of its mega-acquisition of George Lucas empire, a videogame blog said.

About 150 staffers were laid off, Kotaku.com posted Wednesday.

The studio's current projects, "Star Wars: First Assault" and "Star Wars 1313," were canceled, the blog said.

Disney officials indicated the company will still use the LucasArts name to license games, but the studio is history.

"After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games," Disney said in a statement. "As a result of this change, we've had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles."

LucasArts was part of a $4 billion-plus merger last year when Disney acquired LucasFilm and its sibling company from Lucas.

Topics: George Lucas
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Apple sells 10 million new iPhones during the first weekend Apple sells 10 million new iPhones during the first weekend
2
Gazprom: Hungary ready for South Stream Gazprom: Hungary ready for South Stream
3
Iraq relying on oil wealth from Basra Iraq relying on oil wealth from Basra
4
Starbucks testing a latte that tastes like beer Starbucks testing a latte that tastes like beer
5
Arctic oil bound for Europe, Gazprom Neft says Arctic oil bound for Europe, Gazprom Neft says
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback