Disney closes LucasArts videogame studio

April 3, 2013 at 4:09 PM

BURBANK, Calif., April 3 (UPI) -- Walt Disney Co. of Burbank, Calif., closed LucasArts videogame studio, which was part of its mega-acquisition of George Lucas empire, a videogame blog said.

About 150 staffers were laid off, Kotaku.com posted Wednesday.

The studio's current projects, "Star Wars: First Assault" and "Star Wars 1313," were canceled, the blog said.

Disney officials indicated the company will still use the LucasArts name to license games, but the studio is history.

"After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games," Disney said in a statement. "As a result of this change, we've had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles."

LucasArts was part of a $4 billion-plus merger last year when Disney acquired LucasFilm and its sibling company from Lucas.

Related UPI Stories
Topics: George Lucas
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy drops bid for speaker
WikiLeaks offering $50K for video of Afghan hospital bombing
Murdoch sorry for implying Obama's not a 'real black president'
Reid sues exercise companies over eye injury
Lumber Liquidators to pay $10M in DOJ settlement