TOKYO, May 15 (UPI) -- Tokyo-based Sony Corp. says it should have full service restored on its PlayStation Network and Sony Online Entertainment video game services this month.
A hacker attack last month compromised personal information for more than 100 million users and Sony said in a news release users must download a security patch and change their passwords before they can use online services again.
Sony said it would first resume PlayStation services in the Americas, Europe, Australia, the Middle East and New Zealand and all services should be restored by the end of May.
Hackers made off with names, addresses, passwords and possibly credit card information. Both services were shut down while Sony investigated the incident.
"I'd like to send my sincere regret for the inconvenience this incident has caused you, and want to thank you all for the kind patience you've shown as we worked through the restoration process," said Kazuo Hirai, Sony's executive deputy president. "We know even the most loyal customers have been frustrated by this process and are anxious to use their Sony products and services again."
Sony said it would provide users with a $1 million fraud insurance policy and free identity theft services for a year. It will also provide customers with a "welcome back" package that allows them access to normally limited content.
Sony's PlayStation Network has about 31 million user accounts in the United States and about 77 million user accounts elsewhere around the world.