WASHINGTON, Feb. 11 (UPI) -- Rhode Island company Summer Infant Inc. is recalling 1.7 million baby monitors after two infants were strangled by their electric cords, safety regulators said.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said the recall was initiated to provide new labels and instructions concerning the dangers of placing an electric cord near infants.
A 6-month-old boy in Conway, S.C., and a 10-month-old girl in Washington, D.C., died of strangulation from the electric cords for Summer Infant video baby monitors, the commission said.
The video monitors were sold nationwide between January 2003 and February 2011 for between $60 and $300.
The recall involves 40 models of baby monitors that include electric cords.
Consumers were advised to immediately check the location of the monitors, including ones mounted on the wall. A 20-month-old boy in Pittsburgh was found with a cord around his neck in time to prevent serious injury. The monitor in that case was mounted on a wall with a cord thought to be out of his reach, the commission said.
Consumers can call 800-426-8627 for information.