WASHINGTON, Feb. 5 (UPI) -- Household appliance maker Sunbeam Products Inc. of Boca Raton, Fla., is recalling 5,700 clothes irons due to a fire hazard, a federal watchdog agency said.
The convertible irons were imported from China and can overheat due to a wiring problem, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said.
The company has received three reports of irons starting fires.
The irons were sold at Bed Bath & Beyond retail stores from June 2010 through November 2010 for about $60.
The irons involved in the recall are the Sunbeam Convertible Iron with model number GCSBRS – 103. It is hand held and converts from an iron to a clothes steamer.
Consumers were advised to stop using the irons and contact Sunbeam for a free replacement.
Consumers can call 800-656-9708 for information.