UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Berezovsky to be tried in absentia

|
 
Published: June 27, 2007 at 7:29 PM

MOSCOW, June 27 (UPI) -- Russian tycoon Boris Berezovsky will be tried in absentia in a Moscow court on charges of embezzling Aeroflot airline funds.

Berezovsky is accused of embezzling more than $8.3 million of the flagship airline's funds and laundering more than $620,000, Novosti reported Wednesday.

"As the accused is on the wanted list, the case against him will be considered in absentia," Moscow City Court spokeswoman Anna Usachyova said, adding that the hearings next month would be preliminary.

Berezovsky was charged in the 1990s with establishing companies in Switzerland to divert millions of dollars from the carrier. The Aeroflot case was suspended after he fled to Britain, where he was granted political asylum in 2003.

The case was revived after Berezovsky told a British newspaper he had underwritten Kremlin insiders conspiring to overthrow President Vladimir Putin.

Russia's requests for extradition so far have been refused.

Berezovsky's lawyer said Wednesday the businessman had forbidden his defense team to participate in the Moscow hearings.

"Berezovsky said he did not want to be part of that farce, which means neither he, nor his lawyers will attend the trial," Andrei Borovkov said, adding that the state could appoint lawyers to act for Berezovsky.

Topics: Boris Berezovsky
© 2007 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional Business News Stories
1 of 20
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill in Washington
View Caption
Prince Harry arrives on Capitol Hill to tour a photography exhibit by HALO Trust, a British nonprofit focused on removing hazardous war debris, including un-exploded devices and landmines, on May 9, 2013 in Washington, D.C. UPI/Kevin Dietsch
fark
A man probably had a brief moment of joy when he gave the slip to the sheriff's deputy chasing him....
Giant 50-foot magnet makes cross-country trek, as well as quite an attraction
Florida restaurant pulls controversial lion tacos off the menu after huge uproar
Photoshop this red army
Celebrities without teeth. Yes, it is a slideshow. Yes, subby is going to floss now
I-81 closed for several days in Harrisburg, PA after Gov. Corbett forgets to disable disasters on...