facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Woman dies from flash-eating bacteria

March 14, 2006 at 11:35 PM   |   Comments

TACOMA, Wash., March 14 (UPI) -- A Tacoma, Wash. woman died last week after contracting flesh-eating bacteria, a close friend of the woman said.

Julie Tietel, 52, went to the emergency room at St. Francis Hospital in Federal Way last Wednesday with flu-like symptoms and severe abdominal pain, said Monica Brookens, 27, of Edgewood, the News Tribune reported.

Hospital staff performed a chest X-ray on Tietel and gave her painkillers before sending her home to rest.

Tietel returned to the emergency room Thursday because her condition hadn't improved.

She was admitted to the hospital's intensive care unit, shortly before her organs failed. A doctor told her family Tietel had necrotizing fasciitis, or flesh-eating bacteria, and had contracted it possibly from a shaving cut on her leg, Brookens said.

Tietel was rushed into surgery, but later died.

Hospital spokesman Gale Robinette couldn't discuss specifics about the case because of federal privacy laws. The King County Medical Examiner had not yet determined Tietel's cause of death Monday night.

© 2006 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
GM recalls 221,000 Cadillacs and Impalas GM recalls 221,000 Cadillacs and Impalas
2
New National Security Cutter delivered to Coast Guard New National Security Cutter delivered to Coast Guard
3
First MT30 engine for Korean Navy frigates passes acceptance tests First MT30 engine for Korean Navy frigates passes acceptance tests
4
Ukraine's State Guard Service receives armored personnel carriers Ukraine's State Guard Service receives armored personnel carriers
5
Navy's Triton surveillance drone flies cross-country Navy's Triton surveillance drone flies cross-country
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback